What is considered collection of personal information?
The Australian Privacy Act applies to any organisation with an annual turnover of more than $3,000,000 and requires websites to post a privacy statement if they collect customer or website visitor information including email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers, credit card numbers, or other payment details.
This includes creating a page dedicated to the policy that fits within your website branding to ensure it looks seamless. We also link it to the footer of your website so it is easily accessible for users to locate.
- It needs to outline what type of sensitive or personal information will be collected and stored
- You need to say why you might collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
- There must be a statement of how you collect and store the information
- A promise not to sell, “spam” or hire out any email addresses collected needs to be included
- There must be guidance on how any information held can be accessed including the ability to unsubscribe from mailing lists
- Your complaints procedure needs to be outlined
- You have to say if you share personal information with any third parties and, if they are overseas, in which countries they are located
- There must be a way to contact you